We will resume our regular schedule of worship services this Sunday, January 3. Our priority, from the beginning of the pandemic, has been your safety. All of the protocols will be in place as we resume worship. You will need to observe seating requirements, wear your mask, and social distance. We will not be having in person Sunday School or Bible studies until we see if there is a surge from the Christmas holiday.
We understand that it is impossible to make a decision which pleases everyone. Church leadership has had extensive conversations about how best to move forward. Worship is an important element of our faith and we feel it is vital that we offer in person worship.
If your health is compromised in any way, we would ask you to worship with us online. Again, our priority is your safety.
Guidelines for Reopening
Attending in-person worship services will carry some risk as long as COVID-19 is active in our community. We have done everything we can to mitigate the risk, however, most of the responsibility will fall on you to follow the guidelines below. Our time at the church will look and feel much different until we become accustomed to a new way of being in church until this crisis has passed. It is our prayer that COVID-19 will be over sooner rather than later, so that our time at the church will be more normal.
The staff and lay leadership of the congregation understand that these guidelines may feel a little restrictive. Everything we have put into place is for your safety and the safety of your fellow worshipers. Protect yourself and others by following these guidelines. Even if you feel there is little risk involved others may not feel that way. Therefore, out of respect for those attending services at MUMC you will be expected to follow the guidelines below.
The building has had a thorough cleaning while we have been away. The building will be sanitized after each service.
We encourage anyone in the at-risk categories to continue to worship online. However, you must decide what level of risk you are willing to take. Our entire 8:30am Sanctuary service and 11am Ignite service will be streamed live on Facebook & YouTube. They will then be available to watch at any later time.
Entering and Exiting the building.
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Do not arrive more that fifteen (15) minutes before the start of the worship service.
- Those attending worship in the sanctuary must enter and exit through the doors under the portico.
- Those attending Ignite must enter through the side doors and exit either through the side doors or the back door of the Connection Center.
- Your temperature will be checked before entering the building. If your temperature is more than 100.4 you will be asked to not come in the building.
- Do not gather with friends in the lobby or sanctuary before or after service. These types of gathering will make it difficult for those entering and exiting the building to maintain proper social distancing.
- If you want to talk with your friends, you must do so outside while maintaining adequate social distancing.
- Hand sanitizer will be available as you enter and exit the building.
While you are in the building.
- There will be no Sunday School. Our Sunday School rooms are too small for appropriate social distancing.
- There will be no coffee and donuts.
- There will be no childcare, pray ground, or cry rooms.
- Restrooms will be open, but are not to be used unless absolutely necessary.
- The Lower Level will be closed.
- Do not gather with friends while in the building.
- Always use adequate social distancing while on MUMC property.
- Worship will be different and feel strange.
- There will be no congregational singing.
- Do not shake hands or hug one another.
- Offering plates will not be passed, but they will be at the doors as you leave.
- In the sanctuary you may sit where there is tape on the back of the pew. In Ignite the chairs will be placed an appropriate distance from one another.
- Sit only with people from your own household.
- Everyone from the same household sit together. Children and youth sit with your parents.
- You most likely will not be able to sit in your usually spot.
- Maintaining social distancing will limit seating, therefore, we need some of you attending the sanctuary worship service to move to the balcony.
- Printed bulletins will not be available, you may access the bulletin on our website homepage or on the church app. Go to your app store, search for Middletown United Methodist Church and download the app.