MUMC MOBILE MEDICAL MINISTRY NEWSLETTER
“Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” – Romans 12:13
Many have heard mention of the MUMC Mobile Medical Ministry, yet we are also aware that many do not know how this ministry is sharing God’s love with an under served community. We are committed to providing the congregation, at a minimum, quarterly updates of what the ministry is doing, and also how you may be provide support and become involved.
Middletown UMC’s mobile medical ministry evolved from our sponsorship of Touched Twice Health Clinics at the church. We pursued the mobile ministry in order to reach more people who do not have access to barrier-free health care and to be more intentional in our mission to the community. Rather than sending the message that if they come to us we will serve them, we chose to go to them and serve their needs.In the past year and a half, we provided 400 flu vaccines and served 203 individuals. We also made a commitment to including health education projects in what we are providing for the community.Family Community Clinic serves as our partner.
- We continue to have requests to expand our involvement in Back to School events, which provide sports physicals. This year, we will be participating at two locations:
- Centenary UMC, Shelbyville –Sunday, July 28
- St. Matthew’s UMC – Saturday, August 3
- We received a small grant from the Good Samaritan Foundation which we will utilize to conduct an educational program for children at the Neighborhood clinics. The program will focus on the importance and benefit of drinking water as a deterrent to childhood obesity.
- Our partner, Family Community Clinic, has received a grant to add an additional visit to Forgotten Louisville for three months. The plan is to have the Mobile Medical Ministry at Forgotten Louisville on the first and third Wednesdays for those three months(still to be determined). The ministry will rotate its focus between dental care and foot care.
What’s next and how you can help:
- We need providers
- The ministry has been blessed over the past couple of months to have some additional providers and nurses begin the process to help support the ministry. This has occurred primarily through word of mouth or people seeing the ministry in action. We still need additional Physicians, Physician’s assistants, Nurse practitioners, and Nurses as we look at opportunities to expand locations for the ministry to visit. The commitment is two hours per month. If you have any acquaintances or know of anyone in the community who might be interested in getting involved, Nancy Tinnell, Roni Evans, and/or Cindy Wyatt would be happy to talk to the individual and answer any questions they may have.
- Other than the Good Samaritan grant we received, the ministry does not have any other source of funding. Monetary donations are always appreciated.
- The New Covenant Sunday School Class is collecting insect repellent sprays and bracelets now through the month of September. These items are always requested and desperately needed by our Forgotten Louisville clients. If you would like to participate in or donate to this collection, items may be brought to the donation room located in the lobby,or the basket located in the New Covenant classroom in the lower level.
- Keep you eyes and ears open
- Late summer through fall 2019 will bring exciting opportunities to see the Mobile Medical Ministry van up close and support the ministry with your gifts by participating in some fun, family-friendly activities!
- Your prayers
- We felt led by God to establish this ministry and have been blessed in many ways through the opportunities and gifts we have received. It is amazing to watch what unfolds when we are not sure how we will take the next step, and then everything falls into place and we have what we need. We ask for your continued prayers as we move forward, excited to see where God takes this ministry next.
MUMC Mobile Medical Ministry Committee
Nancy Tinnell, Janis Borders, Roni Evans, Donna Myers, Dottie McIntire, Jamie Newton, Ann Thrasher and Cindy Wyatt